Sunday, February 5, 2017

Secret Shopper

I went to a library about a half an hour from my house. I have always wanted to visit this library and had great expectations since this library is well-known around my location for their wonderful book collection. When I first entered the building, there was the circulation desk and a few employees. I did not see any signs about it also being an information or reference desk, so I roamed around the building for a few minutes to see if there were any other desks that I missed. As I was heading back to the entrance, I noticed some displays for the library’s winter reading program with book suggestions. The sign guided people to the front desk if they needed any help with book title suggestions, so I finally knew where to go for assistance. 

I walked up to the desk and the librarian asked me if I needed any help. I told her I was looking for a good book. She did not speak at first and it looked like she was not sure what to do. Then she quite rudely snapped at me and told me she needed to know what I liked. She was very unfriendly at this point. So instead of her actually asking me anymore questions, she waited and stared. After being very uncomfortable, I finally said I like to read romance and some mystery. I was waiting to see if she would ask me any questions about either of these genres but she did not. She continued to wait for about a minute, no conversation and she seemed rather unsure of what to do. She made no eye contact either. After waiting, I told her a romance author that I liked, hoping she would find me a good read-alike book. The librarian still did not ask me any questions. She then pulled out a book list they had at the desk of new titles that the library had received. She started to hand this list over to me to view, but then she put it aside and instead took me over to the new book area. She pointed out the mystery and romance sections. The phone rang so she went to answer it, giving me the opportunity to browse a little bit. 

After her phone call, the librarian came back over to me. She asked me this question, “Do you like Sushi?” This was the first question that she had really asked me. I responded that it was all right. Then she asked me if I liked sports. Laughing, I said a lot better than sushi. She took me to another area, the Christian fiction section and gave me the book Sushi for One by Camy Tang. She told me that she was recommending this title because she had read the book series and it was a Christian book. She had never asked me in the course of our discussion if I liked Christian books. 

After this title, she then recommended a historical fiction title to me because it had a romance running through the story line. Her recommendation was based on the fact that, again, she had read the book. 

In ending our conversation, she voluntarily said she was tentative about recommending any books because we all have different tastes and it made her uncomfortable to recommend a book when she had not read it. A librarian only suggesting books that he or she has personally read is one of the biggest misconceptions about readers’ advisory services (Chelton, 2003).

The librarian never used any tools to offer me assistance. It would have helped if she would have searched Novelist, Goodreads or used some other tool. She only wanted to give me recommendations on books she has previously read instead of providing suggestions (Saricks, 2009). I felt bad for her and wanted to suggest to use one of these tools, but then it would have been me recommending to her how to do her job. She was completely flustered with the entire advisory service. So much of this interaction was uncomfortable, both for me and the librarian. 

I would not say that the librarian successfully found a 'good book' for me. I really did not care for the book that she suggested. I had told her the author I liked and was looking for something similar. I was very surprised about being handed a Christian fiction book, with her assumption that I would want to read it. While it did not offend me, I was thinking that it could be offensive to another patron. 

The experience was not what I was expecting. I thought that the librarian would do a better job at asking me questions and finding out what appealed to me in the romance genre (or mystery). The librarian did not actually ask me about any authors, but I provided her with one. She could have found read-alike titles to that author. The entire interaction left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. I felt like I was being ignored and any comments I made were dismissed by the librarian.

The librarian could have done a few things better. She could have asked questions and performed a readers’ advisory interview or had a conversation. She also could have been friendlier during the interaction. There are many tools at her disposal that she could have used. The librarian could do some self-training to become familiar with different genres (Vnuk, 2013). Finally, the librarian could have asked another colleague for assistance. 

I would not go back to this library to ask for another book. I thought the customer service was horrendous and I did not like the way I was treated. I did not appreciate the way she snapped and rudely spoke to me. Smiling, keeping a friendly tone and having a quality advisory interview/discussion are important components in keeping patrons coming back to the library.

Works Cited:
Chelton, M.K. (2003). Readers' advisory 101. Library Journal. Retrieved from http://lj.libraryjournal.com/2003/11/ljarchives/readers-advisory-101/
Saricks, J.G. (2009). The Readers’ advisory guide to genre fiction. Chicago: ALA.
Vnuk, Rebecca. (2013). Jack of all trades readers’ advisory: How to learn a little about a lot. Public Libraries Online. Retrieved from http://publiclibrariesonline.org/2013/05/jack-of-all-trades-readers-advisory-how-to-learn-a-little-about-a-lot/




3 comments:

  1. Hello Anne! I'm so sorry you had such a bad experience! Hopefully that is not the norm at this library but just with this librarian. It sounds like this librarian probably has not had much or any RA training, and it sounds like it shows. At least from this experience you now know with certainty what not to do during a reader's advisory interview.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anne,

    Sorry you had such a bad experience, that's unfortunate! Like Julie said, at least you learned what not to do in a reader's advisory interview now. I think a lot of librarians are uncomfortable giving others book recommendations, but it is part of our job. I think it is kind of a difficult part of our job because it is basically asking us to get to know a person in a short amount of time and then offer them something they will enjoy, after learning as much about them as you can. It is an uncomfortable situation if you look at it that way. In this example the librarian could have used Novelist and the database could have done all of the work for her. Hopefully she'll learn about it one day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hopefully the experience was as eye opening for her as it was from you. Maybe you inadvertently inspired her to bone up on some RA skills!

    ReplyDelete