Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Reading Profile


While I would occasionally read adult books, over the past few years my reading has been primarily focused on children's literature. Since I have switched to adult reference, I have tried to increase the number of adult books that I read, but I haven't had a lot of success. There are so many choices that I sometimes don't know where to begin. I am great at bring home stacks of books from the library, but I just read a few pages of each book then eventually return them. I don't know how many books that I read last year, but I am sure the number is only about ten to fifteen books that I actually read in entirety.

Unfortunately, I don't set reading as a high priority in my life. It is kind of embarrassing to think about since I am a librarian. Life is busy with many obligations and I tend to set reading down at the bottom of the list. I let little distractions like Facebook or television get in the way of taking the time to read. Instead, I push off reading until I am ready to climb into bed, which by then I am falling asleep. 

I was trying to determine what appeals to me as a reader. I tend to like books that have some humor and whit. I also like to read books in series that have the same character. I like reading mysteries, especially cozy mysteries. One of my favorite authors is Janet Evanovich. I like the characters that she has created because they are so quirky. Sometimes I hate when a book or series ends because I feel like I have lost a good friend. I sometimes read biographies and memoirs and I like some science fiction and fantasy, especially dystopian novels. I really liked the Hunger Games because it was such a different series than I had ever read before. It was fast-paced and kept my attention. I liked the character development as well as the story line. I have eclectic tastes and like to read in different genres as long as the book truly captivates me.

My favorite book/series:
1. Hunger Games series by Suzanne Collins
2. Lizzy and Diesel (Wicked) series by Janet Evanovich
3. What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarity
4. Love Comes Softly series by Janet Oke
5. The Sisters Grimm series by Michael Buckley (children's)

I would like to increase the number of books that I read over the next year to at least 25 books. It would help me to make reading a priority if I set aside a certain time amount of time to read each day. In the past I have used Goodreads to track my reading. I need to go back to using this tool to keep an inventory of the books I have read and to record books I plan to read. Making a plan would assist in the overwhelming task of selecting books. 

10 comments:

  1. Hi Anne,

    It is completely understandable to feel overwhelmed or unable to read when there is so many obligations in life which pull you in a million different directions. Perhaps audio-books would help in facilitating some reading time throughout the day. I recommend this from experience, as I've noticed I was able to get back into reading more the past couple of years with the assistance of audio-books. I've used OverDrive for newer releases and even YouTube for classics. It's definitely difficult to put aside even a little bit of time each day when there are work, school, and familial responsibilities, but I just wanted to recommend audio as a possibility. That is actually how I read Station Eleven. An interesting dystopian novel! I also whole-heatedly agree that Goodreads is definitely a helpful tool for selection and keeping track of books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the recommendation. I tried them before, my drive to work is relatively short, but it might be good when I am cooking dinner or cleaning the kitchen.

      Delete
  2. Anne,

    I totally understand - I work in the children's area so all of my reading has been dedicated to children's books, or YA which is my personal go-to when I want a quick read. It's hard to sit down with some good adult fiction although I'm getting better at it.

    I also want to say that I really want to read the Love Comes Softly series! I watched all of the hallmark movies when they came out - at the time I think I was too young or just didn't think to read the books but I remember absolutely loving the movies. That's definitely going on my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am also able to read children's books relatively quickly. Since I switched positions to adult reference, I rarely read a children's book though. I don't see youth books on a regular basis like I used to so I have stopped reading them, but I just can't seem to get into the adult books that I chose to read either.

      Delete
  3. I just loved what I read of the Sisters Grimm series! I know what you are saying. It is very hard to find the time to read. I used to have a fairly bad sleep problem at night, so I would read and read but I don't have a problem now and I'm tired by bedtime. I read on my lunch hour at work. Sometimes I feel bad if someone else is in the lounge, like I should be trying to just have a conversation but I'm an introvert and hours of programs and patrons just drains me. I need to retreat into a book at lunch to kind of rejuvenate. I was keeping track of my books I read last year starting with January 1, 2016 on Goodreads, but I stopped in the spring and now I wish I'd recorded all the books I read because looking back is kind of neat. My daughter keeps a little notebook with every book she's read. I would not be surprised if she becomes a librarian although she doesn't list that as one of the things she wants to be...but when a 12 year old passionately enjoys arranging and rearranging her books into different categories... that screams of possible future librarian to me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had a children's class back in 2015 that we had to do a lot of reading in youth literature so I started using Goodreads then. But then I didn't keep up with adding books after the semester was over. I always start with good intentions, kind of like New Year's resolutions.

      Delete
  4. Making time to read is very difficult, between work, school and having a social/family life. I agree with Jonathan audio books would be a great solution especially if your commute to work is long! I don't think there is any shame in just reading children's or young adult books though! If that is what you enjoy, go for it! Reading is reading! Another recommendation I'd like to suggest is graphic novels, they are short, quick and entertaining reads! I don't know if you've tried them before, but you might want to give them a shot. Nice to meet you! I hope you pick some books this semester that captivate you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate! And you are right, reading is reading. Part of the reason I am taking this class is to get better at adult reading and learning about the genres.

      Delete
  5. Hello Anne,

    I completely understand not making books a priority even though you are a librarian. With school, work, and a family I find myself not reading as much as I should. One thing that I tend to do is read a book during my lunch and sometimes during my 15 minute breaks at work. When I think about it I will devote a few minutes before bed. Most of the time though I am too tired to read.

    Kamara

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful reading profile! I agree that life can get in the way of reading sometimes and it's really hard to make it fit in. Sounds like you've done a good job of trying though!

    ReplyDelete